EVO build and Intro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO build and Intro

Since I just started posting after being registered for a couple years, I figured I'd post up some specs on my car as an intro and briefly tell about myself. My name is Mike, I'm 28 years old, a mechanical engineer and a red personality in all it's glory...oh, married too.

I'm not really building my '03 EVO for anything in particular, just enjoy never ending projects. I use to auto-x quite a bit, but it's been about 6 years since I last was out. I *gasp* use to drag race a bunch too. I've been on an automotive hiatus to finish school, but I graduate this coming semester and have finally had enough time to start modding cars again.

I like lightweight cars with ample traction so most of what I have done has been to reduce weight of my heavy weight. The car is 350 pounds lighter then stock will still having a full interior and no expensive carbon body panels. My latest project was a new exhaust using 0.035" wall 321 stainless for the downpipe and aluminum for the cat back. Also a Honda radiator (hope it works for auto-x) and a forward facing turbo inlet. The exhaust sounds like an N/A Honda but hey, the whole thing weighs under 20 pounds (with test pipe).

SM 30
    # project cars: 4
    # running: 1...sometimes

Originally posted by 03whitegsr View Post
    ...oh, married too.
    I was so going to sleep with you for your car.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
    Mr Otto, Rudolph, and I kicked Mr Wankel in the JUNK
    WOW! Your diesel truck is fast! To bad you owe it all to a Frenchman
    TEAM BLARGH!

Comment

I figured I better scare off all the ladies that may be lurking on a local car club message board before I got myself in trouble...

I'm sure this place is loaded with hot young women not wearing panties, like all other low-budget car scenes are.
      SM 30

Comment

Beautiful downpipe. How many hours did that take?
        2008 Worker of the Year
        2009 Chris Lindbergh Award
        #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

A couple

I'm fairly proficient at fabrication, so it wasn't too bad.

Thanks
          SM 30

Comment

Nice work, Mike. Where do you live?
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Kaysville

Here is the next project I'm going to work on. Caster plates...

Fully forward is centered which will put the car in the stock location, which is ~4* of caster.

Full back should give around 7 degrees of caster.

With the offset I'm running and tire clearance, the least camber I can run is about 2.5 degrees, which with the added caster should be about right.
              Last edited by 03whitegsr; 07-31-2010, 11:42 PM.
              SM 30

Comment

What are you using for camber adjustment?

That's not much static camber, @ 20deg steering angle to you plan to have?
                2008 Worker of the Year
                #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

Those welds look gorgeous, but I'm curious as to why you just didn't mandrel bend them? (I'm guessing the obvious answer is that you had a welder but not a machine to do the bends. )
                  Todd #88 BMW E36 ///M3 | #60 Spec Miata

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing, I've always used 180deg 4" radius mandrel U-bends and cut them apart to get the curves:

step12-downpipe05.jpg step12-downpipe03.jpg
                    2008 Worker of the Year
                    #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

Welding is fun.
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

3" 321 stainless 0.049" wall mandrel bend = $70+
                        3" 321 stainless 0.049" wall straight tube = $25

I can turn a foot of straight into a bend pretty easily for 1/3 the price and a little time. Of course, when I decided to do it this way, I had in mind $60 a bottle for argon, as that was what it was last time I filled. Apparently, since many industries are down on gas use, they have decided to raise the price of argon considerably over the last year. Bottle of argon was $85 to fill, and that was after I haggled them down $10.

A second advantage is that you can actually manipulate the bend better IMO and get a part that is more intricate and can be used to improve the overall path and reduce the total amount of bend used. Also, you can easily manipluate the bend radius in certain areas where it has to be tight, but then can open up the bend radius in other areas without being limited to a select number of bend sizes. I always try to use at least a 2:1 R/OD bend ratio, which with 3" is a 6" bend radius which often only fits in a limited number of place.

Flow wise, if you do it correctly, the pie sliced bend flows just as well as a mandrel bend of equal bend radius. At least that is what the CFD work I did said. That was also comparing a perfect mandrel bend to what I can reliably reporduce. Real mandrel bends are no where close to perfect and almost always have ovalized cross sections. Even the $150 a bend Burns Stainless stuff...

Here is the album with more pictures.
                        http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/a...ght%20Exhaust/

I guess a few other things to point out:
                        3D profiled turbine outlet flange to improve wastegate flow and reduce weight
                        Cut down V-bands to reduce weight and make more compact
                        FAA approved flex joint
                        Mil.Spec 100 cell/in^2 cat
                        8 pound aluminum cat-back using 9" bend radius mandrel bends
                        44 WHP gain on a "road dyno" at the same boost level over a 3" DP/Megan O2 housing (changes included the exhaust manifold, turbo inlet pipe, and exhaust)
                        A couple videos to show how loud and annoying it is...

I built that exhaust manifold too, but that was from a few years back. Next manifold is going to be 0.049" wall Inconel or 0.065" 321 stainless. No more heavy weld-el based manifolds...
                        Last edited by 03whitegsr; 08-02-2010, 11:40 PM.
                        SM 30

Comment

Can you make me a long tube header for less than $700?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by bmwguy325is; 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM.
                          "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                          Mr Otto, Rudolph, and I kicked Mr Wankel in the JUNK
                          WOW! Your diesel truck is fast! To bad you owe it all to a Frenchman
                          TEAM BLARGH!

Comment

Same question.

Careful, you might be a popular guy around here.

Nice work, and very nice gains.
                            2008 Worker of the Year
                            #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

If it is something that you could get it to where my equipment is, ready for fabrication (old stuff taken off so I don't have to deal with potentially frozen hardware) and I can knock it out in a weekend, yes I can build custom stuff at a good price.

Thin wall stuff fabricates up quickly. Thicker stuff for turbo manifolds is a little more time consuming.

I don't mind building up some cool stuff and making a little green on the side. Haven't really put much thought into it though.
                              SM 30

Comment

Working...
                              X