Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 RX7 turbo II autox build

Hey guys,

As some of you know, I drove a 2008 STI the last few years in autoX, and decided to sell it earlier this year and get something with smaller monthly payments.

I picked up a 1987 Mazda RX7 turbo II off of a local that used to autoX the car. It came with a long list of modifications and seemed ready to race right out of the box. It has since shown a few problems and is slated for several upgrades as well.

The suspension on the car is a set of ksport coilovers with 11k front springs and 10k rear springs, which I haven't played much with and will likely be asking other members for setup advice as I know very little about suspension. It also has most suspension bushings available and upgraded swaybars at both ends.

The engine was recently rebuilt, I was told it had very low miles, ~ 4000 I believe. But after chasing a rough idle for a couple days I ran a compression test and found low compression on two faces of the front rotor. I have since had the engine rebuilt and it is in the garage awaiting install in the car.

The car came with a stock turbo as well as an aftermarket hybrid turbo that was on the car. When pulling the engine for the rebuild I found oil in the turbo inlet and pre-intercooler piping. This and the desire for a more modern turbo led to the purchase of a new turbo kit for the car. I am currently waiting on a turbo kit from Turblown, with a manifold, downpipe and internally gated EFR 8374, with ceramic coated manifold, turbo hotside, and downpipe.

After fiddling with the palm pilot used to tune the modified stock ECU in the car I decided that it was not going to be sufficient for my future plans, and purchased a Megasquirt 3 with MS3X and necessary harnesses and sensors. I purchased a pre-assembled ECU, but will have to run the wiring harness.

I think that's the major things that come to mind for now. The car is intended as an autocross car and fun summer driving car.

Any suggestions or questions are welcomed.

-Tyler

Last edited by deddex; 03-27-2014, 10:37 PM.
    2008 STI- #91 ASP, or SM - Sold
    1987 RX7 - #91 SSM... once it runs again

Last edited by deddex; 03-27-2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

looks awesome! It looks like there will be a few of us running SSM this year. I'm excited for the competition!
      Gregory

#99 DP 1996 Mazda Miata

Comment

if i ever get my Windows 98 to load up and get working i'll be tuning my FC GTUs and running SSM i believe ^_^ lol
        Jake B. 89 FC, 74 Rx2, 95 Mx5, 06 MS6, 84 FB GSL

Cell - 801-915-4810 - Nissan Technician

Comment

Sounds like there should be some good competition. What tires will you guys be running this year? Are r comps going to be the norm or will you be opting for street tires?

Comment

Originally posted by deddex View Post
            Sounds like there should be some good competition. What tires will you guys be running this year? Are r comps going to be the norm or will you be opting for street tires?
            i won't be running my FC this year due to trying t buy a home. BUT i think i'll be going Dual Tires, try and Run R Compunds and run Street Tires to see which way i'm most competitive.
            Jake B. 89 FC, 74 Rx2, 95 Mx5, 06 MS6, 84 FB GSL

Cell - 801-915-4810 - Nissan Technician

Comment

That thing needs to get finished... I want to see it.

Comment

That's a lot of turbo for autoX. Should be fun though.
                SM 30
                # project cars: 4
                # running: 1...sometimes

Comment

It is a bit large, I was worried about late spool, but based on several recent dynos with the same turbo, and somewhat similar rotary engines it seems I should be making full boost fairly early i'm estimating 3200-3500rpm, and if I let it rev to 7500 rpm that gives a wide power band, and the EFR turbos are supposed to be very responsive between shifts. A smaller turbo may have spooled slightly sooner, but likely would have run out of steam up top without running a fairly high pressure ratio. The larger 8374 seems to allow more flow over a sufficient area with lower pressure ratios that the smaller turbos that were available. As well as allowing more head room if I decide to go for more power down the road.

Here is a link to the most recent dyno data from a setup with this turbo. It's on a newer engine, so I don't expect mine to look quite as good. My engine is lower compression as well as a less efficient intake design and more intercooler piping because of the front-mount.
                  http://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo-...sults-1060852/

Comment

Working...
                  X