More "how to pick a car/class" questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More "how to pick a car/class" questions

Does anyone have any tips for trying to figure out what kind of drive car to get? AWD vs FWD? (i would include RWD but it will be daily driver and im not going to take a rwd car in a utah winter)

My story
    Im looking to buy a car here in the next 3 months. One that I can daily drive for several years (and run in stock class) but once its paid for and Im ready for a newer car, keep it around and make it a dedicated rally/auto-cross car. Thats what I want.. its not the most practical choice and thats probably want will win out.
    Im leaning toward AWD even thought here is a MPG hit. Which only leaves a couple of manufactures. Subaru being the top of the line, and my personal choice of an 99-03 impreza (those years are in my budget right now). Then should I spring for the better engine in a WRX? get a base and upgrade it as I go.. (ive heard that turbo kits (which I would put on it someday) cant put a lot of boost in the 2.5 engines because of the "bottom end" of the engine (though there always is the possibility of an engine swap in the future))

Im not set on any car really, just that I like subaru (though dont because everyone likes them and I have that small streak in me that likes to be different).. so I you have any bright ideas let me know.

also
    I know AWD and FWD take very different driving skills to make a fast time, anyone have a guide/website/info that can teach me some things about the differences?

So give me your spill about how you picked what car to race. Or some advice on what is both practical and will give me my dream of pretending to be a rally driver.

I really need to come out and volunteer and help out and get familiar with it all. If I didnt have a test to study for I would come out for this weekend. Excuses excuse I know.. But hope you all have a good time out there!

So I'm going to say to go with a 98-01 impreza rs if possible. Since I just went to nationals I can say that a stock rs will hang with any wrx or sti in stock form. There is really no need to spend more if you are happy with the looks of the older impreza. I would like to see how a 2.2 would run against the other awd cars.
    1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    Gonzo
    #2 SA
    URG baby!

Comment

you're right the older imprezas do not take a lot of boost most engines built to be NA won't and boosting a car with relatively high compression and adding boost with weak pistons spells failure. So that being you can run about 5lbs safely so if you're going turbo i'd say swap it.

I'm with gonzo on the 98-01 rs they're easy to work on and no matter what event you go to there will be someone with spare parts. They are potent fun cars from the factory. I would look for a 00-01 because they have a stock rear vlsd.

Comment

You mentioned finding a car that you are going to live with on a daily basis, I'd say that is more important than how good it is at racing. Any car can be fun to race, even if not competitive, but some cars a MUUUCH better to live with on a daily basis.

My two race cars are great examples, a '91 CRX for STS, and my '94 MX6 for SMF/STX or whatever. The CRX is vastly more competitive, but I'd NEVER want to drive it daily. To rough, too loud, too ugly, and not useful enough as a daily driver. The MX6 on the other hand, while a firm ride is MUUUCH better looking, makes great noises, looks MUCH better and has about 3X the trunk space, and the GF actually WANTS to ride in it!! (very important)

So, race the car you like. Or buy a four door sedan beater and save the money for a real race car.

Oh, and the 2.5RS would be a great car. Just make sure the timing belt gets done when needed and watch those head gaskets!
        2008 Worker of the Year
        2009 Chris Lindbergh Award
        #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          The CRX is ... too ugly

Comment

Ok Ok, it's cute in it's own way...It reminds me of a Persian Kitten. Small, snub nosed, fun to play with, but still kinda ugly. Thus it earned the name Fluffy.

And it is definitely NO MX6!
            2008 Worker of the Year
            #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              And it is definitely NO MX6!
              And that's a good thing.

Comment

This is more like Carmen:

See the resemblance? Crouched, gripping the ground, snarling and ready to attack!!

And as I recall that was YOU driving!!

Doing an excellent job as a tire warmer too BTW

But seriously, enough about ugly and sexy cars, sounds like the 2.5RS is in the OP's future if the plan is a get up the mountain, decent MPG, autocrosser/rallycrosser daily driver. I can't think of another car that fits that formula better.
                2008 Worker of the Year
                #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

You have all made a very compelling argument for sticking with the 2.5rs. I shall have to go and start finishing my research and start test driving.
                  Thanks all for your advice and quick replies.

One more question though. Anyone know a guide/website to learning to control/drive AWD? Its characteristics and peculiarities. Or do I just need to get out on the road/dirt and figure it out?

Comment

You could read all day long but seat time is what will make you learn the car. You should definately try to come out on Saturday.
                    1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
                    Gonzo
                    #2 SA
                    URG baby!

Comment

Come to the rallycross and get a ride in different AWD and FWD cars. Not the same as driving them but it will give you a feel of their different handling characteristics.

In my biased opinion I will also throw in a vote for an older Impreza. I have rallycrossed a '98 Outback Sport and a '00 RS (with WRX swap). They can take a beating and tend to be reliable.

Comment

Having raced both on the dirt (front wheel and AWD cars) weight transfer is weight transfer when doing corners but all AWD has a few extra steps. Most basically in an FWD vehicle you can keep you foot on the gas and left foot brake at the same time. AWD you have to take your foot off the gas when LFB. FWD cars are easy to learn on and can be very good in tight technical dirt. Its all fun what ever you choose, skip the turbo as everyone else has already indicated.
                        When i started I googled a bunch of stuff and practiced on my own ( and broke a few things). But you have a group of excellent drivers to learn from. Definately hit up this weekends RallyX and just ride along in different cars and glean tips.

Comment

There really arent many 98-01 imprezas out there for sell, at least on KSL, craigslist and ebaymotors... haha.
                          I think it might a bad time/market to buy one. Everyone is holding on to them for the winter or they are indemand for the winter.
                          If anyone hears about one being sold let me know.
                          Last edited by why.kyle; 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

how much are you looking to spend? come out tomorrow and ride along.

Comment

I wish I could, I just cant make it fit in my schedule. Working two jobs and saturday is the only day I have to get things done untill things calm down.
                              Im kind of flexible in what im going to spend depending on the condition and milage on the car.. but 5-7 grand. Course cheaper is always better.

Comment

Working...
                              X