Tech Inspection Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Inspection Questions

Can someone explain to me the tech inspection process? Years past when I'd go through tech, they'd check for safety (wheels on tight, brakes working, no loose objects, helmets, ect.); but they would also verify that I was registered for the correct class based on the type of car and any modifications that I might have had. Now it appears that it is just safety?
    I only ask because I noticed several cars running the past couple events in stock categories that had easily identifiable modifications that, by my understanding of SCCA rules, would have bumped them out of a stock class. Am I wrong? Are the rules open to interpretation by individual regions and I just need to be up on whats allowed in Utah?
    Stephen Nielson
    2012 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport

I think because of how many cars usually go through safety and the knowledge of the people doing tech inspections they do only the safety checks. Registration usually takes care of the assignment of the car. If someone sees a car that should be in another class, usually going up to the trailer and making it known is good enough to get someone re-classed. It is up to the region to allow/disallow items (for example if someone has a non-powered upgrade the class might not care but if someone does, you would be reclassed). Maybe we have gotten too lax and I do think they should start where they most fit especially for obvious upgrades. Maybe a tech person that is knowledgeable and does checks as an assignment?

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleoki View Post
      I think because of how many cars usually go through safety and the knowledge of the people doing tech inspections they do only the safety checks. Registration usually takes care of the assignment of the car. If someone sees a car that should be in another class, usually going up to the trailer and making it known is good enough to get someone re-classed. It is up to the region to allow/disallow items (for example if someone has a non-powered upgrade the class might not care but if someone does, you would be reclassed). Maybe we have gotten too lax and I do think they should start where they most fit especially for obvious upgrades. Maybe a tech person that is knowledgeable and does checks as an assignment?
      What do you mean by a "non-powered upgrade"?
      And yes, one person tasked with checking would be good. I understand that its hard to tell some times, but easy things to spot like slotted or cross drilled rotors, extra wide tires, stuff like that should be a quick enough thing to check. Particularly when it comes to the stock classes.
      I get that everyone is here to have fun, and getting too nitpicky can ruin that. But most new people are coming to this with their stock daily driver and want to see how they stack up against similar vehicles. Sure, experience counts for most of it, but if they end up going against folks who have clear advantages due to modifications it makes it less fun for the new people.
      Stephen Nielson

Comment

I haven't been doing tech but have kind of noticed similar things. Along with what Cameron said, lately it seems like at the event the only way the event organizers realize that someone is out of the class they register in is because someone came out and told them. Not that the organizers aren't knowledgeable about what is and isn't allowed in classes, it just happens to slip by a lot. I do think the region has gotten really lax with allowing cars to run in classes they shouldn't, and really I think it should be stopped. Nobody should be running stock class with Hoosiers, coilovers, etc. If you see something, bring it up during the event and we can handle it by talking to the driver of the car in question and resolve the issue. Going forward, I'd like to see more people giving the correct class when someone asks what they fit in. Even if they're new people it does nothing but confuse them when people throw out two or more classes when they all know which class they SHOULD be in. During the events we'll also try to pay more attention to the cars and resolve it ourselves, but we really do rely on a lot of the members to help us with this kind of thing.
        Assistant Regional Executive

"It is possible to become a millionaire through racing. But only if you're first a billionaire."

Comment

It is not the responsibility of the person doing tech to class everyoneís cars correctly.
          I would hope that individual would ask questions and do research and be honest about it. If that fails to work, I think the next step is that the members of each class talk to each other to get the problem resolved. Fellow classmates have the most right to protest the issue. When that doesnít work, talk to a person in charge.
          Bevin Johnson ES 6, KM 19, HS 71

Comment

When I talked about non-powered upgrades I mean something that doesn't make a difference. Technically if you take off the sun visors you are now in a prepared class. Or maybe a fender liner on one side came off and you haven't put it back on. I don't think most people would care about those. But take off too much and people will and should. Intakes, wider tires, etc. should bump you up in a class, even if it's your first time. People say, "As long as they aren't winning it's not a big deal" but on those items it is, especially because you are also bumping people down in PAX. And if you're not competitive in the stock class, what is the difference between not being competitive in the class those mods put you in?

Plus, it does make it easier for someone to say "Well my barely wider tires don't matter because so-and-so has an illegal intake so we're all good."

Comment

According to the rulebook, it is the driver's responsibility and a racer can petition a car in the same class. The inspection at the beginning is just a safety check, not a class check. The safety checklist is 3.3.3 part b.
              (I'm only in my second season, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

4.6 RESPONSIBILITY FOR CAR CLASSIFICATION
              The driver is responsible for the correct determination of the carís category and class. If in doubt as to classification or concerning the conformity of the car or its equipment to the rules governing the class, he/she may submit a Request for Clarification to the Protest Committee, which will determine the matter under the procedures of Section 8. It is the driverís responsibility to assure the proper number is on the car prior to competing.

8.3 PROTESTS AGAINST CARS
              Entrants or drivers taking part in a competition may protest a car in the same competition and class as not conforming to the rules. The Chief Steward may protest any car in the competition. The protestor may request that the car be disassembled, inspected, or any other test made, provided he or she posts a cash bond with the PC sufficient to cover the expense of access to documentation, disassembly, inspection and reassembly. A protest may be reduced in scope but not added to at the time the bond is set. Once a bond is posted, the stipulated inspections shall be completed unless the protest is wholly or partially withdrawn by the protestor. The PC shall apportion the costs incurred, including reassembly, up to the point of withdrawal, provided no illegality has been discovered.

Comment

you are correct... classing cars during the tech inspection is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book. This is something that the tech inspectors decided to do on their own... which we should all appreciate since they were the only people actively trying to make sure people are in the correct class

I would think a tech inspector would be someone knowledgeable to understand what modifications are performance enhancing or not, so that would be the correct person to give the job of asking people if they are in the right class or not. The only other way to check people for correct class is to have drivers file a protest (which is mentioned in the rules) so that the event officials can determine if the driver is in the correct class or not.

So we just have to all agree (mostly the board or event chair has to agree) that any and all petitions will be taken seriously and there will be an inspector to check the car in question and if the car has performance enhancing upgrades in the wrong class, then said person would be automatically assigned to the correct class.by the event officials and whoever is running the timing computer. There is an easy way to change someones class in axware, although I'm not 100% sure how to do it and I run the computer more than anybody else lately

Comment

Classing of cars or, better put, correct classing is up to the competitor and people in his/her class. This has been the way it has been done for at least 20 years. If someone in the class disagrees with what they see in their competitors classing they should simply ask the driver why they are in that class. Face it, most people are just too lazy to look up the classing posts we have here on the forums, the links we have posted on FB, the links on the opening registration page on motorsportreg.com, or the SCCA rule book.

If you see a conflict in class go ask them about it. If you see something that is illegal the proper etiquette is simply to ask, "what rule allows that mod?" If they don't fix it let the event chair know what the problem is and that you want them to be legal.
                  George #93 STX
                  2007 Chris Lindberg Award winner!
                  2011 Solo Worker of the Year!!

Comment

It might be a good idea for the club to send out a notice via e-mail, forum, Facebook, and Motorsportreg prior to the next event reminding everyone to review the rules for the class that they are registering for and to make sure that they are in compliance.
                    Stephen Nielson

Comment

I remember one event I attended in a different region, where to tech you had to have a tech card that you got in registration.
                      You would fill it out with car, modifications, and registered class. Registration would then confirm you fit in class and you'd take that card to tech when you got numbers on.
                      Tech would do their work, and if they noticed extra parts you didn't disclose then they'd notify registration. Otherwise you'd be good to race. The cards were also proof of payment, registration, and passing tech, for the region to CYA if something went wrong.
                      if the tires don't scream, you aint goin' fast enough. (at least on the street)

Comment

Working...
                      X