Tech Inspection proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Inspection proposal

This last Event at legacy we had a great turnout, especially in the CAM classes. Sadly many of the cars in the class were obviously and blatantly too loud.
    We announce the db limit at Drivers meeting, we talked to many of the drivers.
    But even then, we had many cars that were over our 95db limit, a few over the 100db limit that should've seen them immediately removed from the event, and even a couple over 105db (some as repeat offenders).

I propose that we should add a db test at tech. we need to do a rev of the engine already for the throttle return spring test. Why not add to said test a free rev, at full throttle, to ~3/5ths the Redline of the engine. With a db meter stationed at the 50ft. If we get any over 90db they should be talked to/warned. if they get over 93db on this "test" they will definitely be over 95 at full load full throttle and high RPM, and should not be allowed unless they can quiet the car down.

I know this isn't a very scientific "test", and many may balk at that point of the tech inspection, but it's better than what we currently have, and MAY keep us from allowing cars that are obviously too loud to run, even the first lap. Of course we should still do the on course testing, to make sure we aren't breaking our 95db limit.

I believe it'll be easier to convince those who are too loud to do something about it before they start their runs, than to stop them after one, and tell them they're booted, or they have to do something to fix it.
    if the tires don't scream, you aint goin' fast enough. (at least on the street)

I agree, while on course chasing cones with some of these cars I really felt like I need to have some hearing protection - I think we need to make a push to be more firm from the top down (board members dictating to those that chair events that they do in fact have the power to ask folks to leave).

Imagine how much it would suck if we lost legacy over something as silly as sound, which we all know is always the complaint with car related things.

if we nab em in tech, they could even have a chance to try and cobble a turn down together to attach to exhaust exit and help mitigate the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

if we nab em in tech, they could even have a chance to try and cobble a turn down together to attach to exhaust exit and help mitigate the issue.
      THIS is one huge reason I think the Tech test is a good one.
      When running you don't really have time to cobble up something to quiet down the car, unless you already knew your car was too loud, and were running it anyways (dick move imho)

As for it not being "real world conditions" We could cone off an area, where people run Full Throttle through 1st, then brake test (at the end of tech, i'd assume). This would give us real world noise conditions, though we'd have to have that space taken out of our already tight lots, and have 2 people "man" the station, flagging and sound checking.

Comment

This would be hard to do because revving the engine vs giving a load to the engine creates different exhaust tones.

If this would be implemented, it would have to be a full throttle flyby as part of the tech inspection to be accurate.

Comment

Another thing that was brought up in FB comments,
          Tech is early, revving engines for testing that early would be worse than during the runs ~10-5 even if they are all within limits.

Maybe instead of Tech addition. (beyond having the tech inspectors remind obviously loud cars of the limit) We need an assigned person (worker) to run the meter, as well as a list of who hit what dB. If they go near or above, someone assigned in the trailer to warn those that are near and speak with offenders, who are required to change something (grid doesn't let them leave) and a second offence = runs DNF'd and asked to leave. (what we claim we already do, but assigning people to this task) Nobody enjoys being the enforcer.... especially if it means someone can't run.

Comment

I am not allowing anyone to do an unloaded full throttle rev on anything I own. Not to mention the already made point that it is totally different when the car is loaded.

Comment

doing a sound test during tech inspection is absolutely not the answer to this problem... not only is it totally irrelevant towards our actual DB limit rule, its also annoying to everyone near the tech inspection and our neighbors who we are trying to keep happy

Comment

Working...
              X