Solo FAQ additional suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo FAQ additional suggestion

I've been promoting our very fun sport and club lately. With a number of comments back from people, I thought I'd suggest an additional FAQ for our Solo forum. I'm not sure who determines this, but if you feel it would be worthwhile, please consider the following. Let me know if you'd like me to make changes too. I did lift the opening paragraphs from the SCCA site, so let me know if that isn't allowed. The rest is something I created so I'm open to any suggestions.

EDIT - Incorporated suggestions Dec 26.
    Edit - Incorporated suggested links to sites describing Autocrossing - Jan 1

Autocross – What is it?

SoloŽ is the SCCA brand name for autocross competition. Solo events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling characteristics. This is accomplished by driving a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip. While speeds are no greater than those normally encountered in legal highway driving, the combination of concentration and car feedback creates an adrenaline pumping experience.

Over 1200 Regional - and Divisional-level Solo events are held across the country at local shopping centers, airports, and stadium parking lots -- or wherever competitors can find a large amount of pavement to safely layout their courses. The sport typically attracts ordinary sports and sports-type cars used for daily transportation, as well as heavily modified vehicles used for racing only.

See these links for some examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2zJAOAqWQ
    http://www.sccastartingline.com/_10-things-you-absolutely-positively-have-to-know-about-autocross.php

More Details

The course is different EVERY time.
    • Your ability to quickly ‘read’ the course is a major part and fun with auto-crossing and adds a different dynamic not found anywhere else.

• While the venue might be the same, the layout is different every time. Competitors are not allowed on the course until the walk-through that morning, and then it’s on to driving. There are slaloms, tight corners, gradual corners, straights and sometimes even choices on which direction to go.

Your driving
    • This will test your reflexes and then some. It puts a premium on how well you can control your car while making split second decisions on the point of braking, turning and accelerating WHILE you are getting familiar with the course.

• Very fast paced. It may not appear so by watching, but from inside the car, it is split second decision to split second decision for the ENTIRE run. You are going freeway speeds on a TIGHT course that you and others have not driven before. Even the most experienced professional drivers find it challenging. Have you driven fast-kart go karts? Yeah, like that but FASTER.

Your car
    • If you have not done something like this with your car, it will amaze you how much capability it really does have. Even in stock form with stock tires. Want to take your car beyond that? Ask! There is a LOT of experience and knowledge that is freely shared.

What it isn’t
    • “You have to have a car setup for the track”. The SCCA has class categories for nearly all car makes and models. From the common Stock form to mild or wild variations and everything in-between.

• “All competition, no fun”. We promote a family friendly FUN environment. While it is timed and there is competition, many choose to attend as a hobby. We cheer each other on and THEN TRY AND BEAT THEM on course!

• “All work for only a few runs”. Remember, when you are ‘working’ the course, you get to be ON THE COURSE and learn by watching the other drivers and how they executed a particular section, the line, speed etc.. This is HIGHLY advantageous to you as a driver.

• “I could wreck my car”. Our course stewards and safety crew have specific guidelines to insure each venue is as safe as possible for the car, driver and workers. That said, there are cones to navigate and at times you might hit a cone. If you are not sure, please attend an event to watch and assess for yourself.
    Last edited by 06BlueStang; 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM.

I like it. Consider it added.

EDIT: I guess I don't have moderation powers in the FAQ forum so I can't add it as a post in there...anyone care to do that for me?

Thanks!
    2008 Worker of the Year
    2009 Chris Lindbergh Award
    #26 ??? Underdog

Comment

I love the idea, but I think we should tweak a few things.

The tire thing is good to know, but let's broaden it. I've talked with a few people who don't care about tire, but about the wear and tear on the car. Let's be honest, this is not the kindest thing to do to our cars, but most damage is superficial. We see loose trim, cracks in the front bumper cover, and fender liners removed. We get cone scuffs. Every driver I've seen with one of these problems has come back for more, and our experienced drivers know how to reduce and deal with the damage.
      On the other hand, as long as you have brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, and motor oil at the right levels, it's uncommon to see a car with a blown engine, transmission trouble, or ruined diffs (unless you're in C Prepared).

The work section should mention that everyone does their share to keep the event running smoothly. Everyone. Each position is open to everyone, but some positions require some training and a lot of trust from the club. If you see a job you are interested in, ask the worker chief how to get into it.

Change the driving section to mention freeway speeds instead of a specific and boring 25mph. We try not to have first gear corners anymore than is necessary. I feel we should treat advertising them the same way.

Almost any car can be raced, but there's some exceptions. Cars, SUVs, and trucks that are deemed roll hazards or cannot pass tech are not allowed. If you made it to the event, odds are you'll pass tech, but make sure you've got nothing loose, including your battery. Tech will also check that your wheels are on tight and that your throttle and brakes work.

Also we need the new drivers to know that we're supposed to be looking out for them. While we do our best, if we don't know that you could use help, or worse if we don't realize you're new, we won't be as helpful as we should be. The easiest and probably best way is to attend our novice course walk. You could also introduce yourself to the novice coordinator, or ask around for who the experienced drivers are.

It's a great idea to get more outreach, particularly online. Can we create a new first driver FAQ from these and post them somewhere visible from outside the autocross forum, maybe the front page of the non forum utahscca site? This video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2zJAOAqWQ explains autocross pretty well, so it may be worth adding as well.
      Last edited by Evolve; 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM. Reason: embeding video failed.
      -the guy in the fox hat

Evolve: V. To develop or progress, to gain through experience.

Comment

Since you asked for input, here are some items that I see could be tweaked a bit to make the message a little more clear:

Under the heading "The course is different EVERY time."

"All competitors are not allowed on the course until the walk through that morning."
        *Remove the word "All" and add a hyphen to "walk through" making "walk-through": Competitors are not allowed on the course until the walk-through that morning.

Under the heading "Your driving"

"It puts a premium on how well you can control your car with split second decisions on the point of braking, turning and accelerating WHILE you are getting familiar with the course."
        *Replace the word "with" with the phrase "while making": "It puts a premium on how well you can control your car while making split second decisions on the point of braking, turning and accelerating WHILE you are getting familiar with the course."

"It may not appear by watching, but in the car, it is split second decision to split second decision in fraction of seconds the ENTIRE run."
        *Add the word "so", change "in" to "from inside" and remove the phrase "in fraction of seconds": "It may not appear so by watching, but from inside the car it is split second decision to split second decision for the ENTIRE run.."

"You are going 25mph-50+mph on a TIGHT course that you and others have not seen before."
        * Change "not seen" to "not driven". They've actually seen the course, just not from a driver's point of view until the walk-through, then still not at speed. Also change "25mph-50+mph" to read: "You are going 25 to 50+ mph on a TIGHT course that you and others have not driven before."

(You might want to add another point with words to the effect that what a driver learns during the course of an autocross can turn into reactions that could be critical in accident avoidance during day-to-day street driving.)
        Bucky

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Comment

Originally posted by Evolve View Post
          I love the idea, but I think we should tweak a few things.

The tire thing is good to know, but let's broaden it. I've talked with a few people who don't care about tire, but about the wear and tear on the car. Let's be honest, this is not the kindest thing to do to our cars, but most damage is superficial. We see loose trim, cracks in the front bumper cover, and fender liners removed. We get cone scuffs. Every driver I've seen with one of these problems has come back for more, and our experienced drivers know how to reduce and deal with the damage.
          On the other hand, as long as you have brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, and motor oil at the right levels, it's uncommon to see a car with a blown engine, transmission trouble, or ruined diffs (unless you're in C Prepared).

The work section should mention that everyone does their share to keep the event running smoothly. Everyone. Each position is open to everyone, but some positions require some training and a lot of trust from the club. If you see a job you are interested in, ask the worker chief how to get into it.

Change the driving section to mention freeway speeds instead of a specific and boring 25mph. We try not to have first gear corners anymore than is necessary. I feel we should treat advertising them the same way.

Almost any car can be raced, but there's some exceptions. Cars, SUVs, and trucks that are deemed roll hazards or cannot pass tech are not allowed. If you made it to the event, odds are you'll pass tech, but make sure you've got nothing loose, including your battery. Tech will also check that your wheels are on tight and that your throttle and brakes work.

Also we need the new drivers to know that we're supposed to be looking out for them. While we do our best, if we don't know that you could use help, or worse if we don't realize you're new, we won't be as helpful as we should be. The easiest and probably best way is to attend our novice course walk. You could also introduce yourself to the novice coordinator, or ask around for who the experienced drivers are.

It's a great idea to get more outreach, particularly online. Can we create a new first driver FAQ from these and post them somewhere visible from outside the autocross forum, maybe the front page of the non forum utahscca site? This video www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2zJAOAqWQ explains autocross pretty well, so it may be worth adding as well.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! I've incorporated a few of the thoughts into the item above. I think you are correct, some of the detail listed here is likely more applicable to the "new first driver FAQ".

As for the video, WOW what a find!!!! I hope (and I'm not sure who?) can help find a location/link or whatever to it. That video really encompasses what I was trying to start with the words/list above. As they say, a picture (or video) is worth a 1,000 words!!!! Nice!!!!

Comment

the upcoming season is going to be great with everyone's input, videos and knowledge....I am staying in tuned...thanks guys...you are great!

Comment

SCCA help

The SCCA and Evolution schools have set up a page to help people understand what we do. http://www.sccastartingline.com/ Check it out and notice the super cool BMW sitting in line in the ProSolo picture.
              George #93 STX
              2007 Chris Lindberg Award winner!
              2011 Solo Worker of the Year!!

Comment

Outstanding Find!!! I've included this and Evolves links in the original thread above. Hopefully this continues to refine itself and we can provide prospective people with items that they may choose to attend Autocross and possibly become some might become core members!

Those links are so much better worded that what I started above. So if anyone has another way to approach this idea, don't let this thread stop you. I figured it was just a place to start and get the idea going.

Comment

OK, so how or who can get the item posted above into the FAQ's? I've been directing some people here and they are looking for more in the FAQ's.

Comment

Working...
                  X