Are karts allowed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are karts allowed?

I'd like to be able to run my 125cc shifter kart if possible. If so, are there any safety requirements beyond what is listed in the 2019 solo rule book?

Thanks!

I don't think so, but someone else may correct me. We are going by the SCCA Time Trials rules not the Solo rules, and it doesn't mention anything about karts that I've seen. I did find this:

"Unlimited Category is for production-based vehicles prepared beyond Sport, Tuner and Max which means any vehicle on DOT tires with less than 200 treadwear or on non-DOT tires. We do not expect these vehicles to be streetable. This is where you will find Time Attack monsters, Tube Frame GT cars and race cars that don't fit with the street-driven philosophies of the other categories."

Unlimited is the top category, and explicitly says "production-based vehicles," which in my mind rules out karts.
    Gregory

#99 DP 1996 Mazda Miata

Comment

I saw that as well, and that'd be the closest class that I think the kart would fit in. However, here's what's listed as interior requirements:

1. There must be a sealed firewall between the engine and driver.
      2. All fuel system components must be sealed off from the driver.
      3. All exhaust components must be sealed off from the driver.

​​​​​​The kart absolutely fails all three of these metrics. Where my question stems from is as there is no body in the sense of what's being defined, is there also no defined interior as well?

Push comes to shove I'll bring the XKR, but I'd rather run the kart if possible.

Comment

I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that karts are not allowed. The time attack program is meant for cars,
        and our application of time attack rules appears to exclude karts. If you really want to push it, you can reach out to David Benson (Spectre23 on the forum) who is the road race director for the region and is taking the lead for organizing our trackcross events. I would say just plan on bringing the XKR and have a blast!

What's the top speed on your kart anyway?
        Gregory

#99 DP 1996 Mazda Miata

Comment

I just watched a few of the videos and didn't realize it was wheel to wheel... I am not ok with being around cars on the kart. XKR it is.

But to answer your question, I have gearing for it that'll get it up to around 115- 125 mph.

Comment

Over 100 mph would be crazy in a kart! I think bringing out the XKR is the right decision, but just to clarify the Trackcross events are a little different than the SCCA Timetrial events, in that we are completing individual laps against the clock, not running wheel-to-wheel on an open track. At least that is how it was last year, but maybe David Benson has something different planned. Regardless, the XKR should be awesome!
            Gregory

#99 DP 1996 Mazda Miata

Comment

I spoke with Bevin today and he said it's not wheel to wheel like I saw in the video, and that yeah, I could run my kart but didn't recommend it as I'd be wide open pretty much the whole time. I'll stick with the car for the track cross, but otherwise, here's what 116 mph in a kart feels like.

https://youtu.be/XjSuzzorTXQ

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response guys.
                1- It is not door to door. We will be sending one car out at a time for 1 lap at a time. There should be about 20-40 seconds between cars based on starter judgement.
                2- No, UMC will not allow karts on the big track at all. For any event. So I am told anyway.
                3- Just to clarify, what we are doing is TrackCross. We are just using some of the rules from time trials.

Comment

Working...
                X